Video. It’s a simple concept that can have astonishing results.
Today, YouTube reaches almost 50 percent of the 18 to 34-year-old population—more than any cable network. An astonishing 98 percent of 18 to 34-year-olds reported using their smartphone on a daily basis to consume video content, which is why brands across all industries are choosing to experiment with it, including Yale University.
What starts as a “traditional Yale information session” quickly turns into a viral video that’s anything but traditional—especially for this Ivy League school. And it all starts with one, simple question: “Why did you choose Yale?”
(Cue the music.)
(Cue the list of reasons why students across campus chose Yale.)
Now, we know it would have been easy to create a list of reasons why Yale is a great university to attend. And it would’ve been even easier to send that list out to prospective students as a letter or an email. But, Yale isn’t known for being easy, is it?
That’s why when they made their list, they made everything rhyme. And instead of having students simply say why they chose Yale, they sang them, citing reasons like:
- Students at Yale come from everywhere around, with every type of interest that can possibly be found.
- Everyone here is on a similar mission where great classes and professors are a campus tradition.
- It’s a place where you learn quintessential knowledge.
- You can live in a residential college.
- You can put your hearts into all the liberal arts.
- You’ll get a first-rate education.
- You’ll thrive on classmates’ conversation.
- Great facilities to hone your abilities.
- A sense of unity.
- Immense community.
… And that’s why they chose Yale.
… And that’s why we admire this spot. It’s quirky. Fun. Innovative. And of course, it’s musical. It reminds us that schools have great stories to tell. And because this video has more than 1.6 million views, it lets us know that, most importantly, students are listening to them.